SOLARIS (1972)

A sort of star sequence...
Solaris


Mirror mirror


Reality breaks

Title: Solaris
Year: 1972
Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
Format: Blu-ray
Label: Curzon Artificial Eye

Notes: I've struggled to articulate my thoughts about this film. I finally watched it after wanting to see it for 15+ years so a delayed reaction may be appropriate. It's absorbing despite the slightly disorienting (but not incomprehensible) beginning. The story is ultimately fairly straightforward although the complexity of the themes means there's a lot to take in so that, to my mind at least, a second or third viewing is required. I haven't see any other Tarkovsky films but I enjoyed his fluid and beautiful direction. The visual design and casting were also very fine.

It was hard to pick just 4 stills from SOLARIS but I'd like to note the 1st and 3rd in particular as being from very fine cinematic sequences.

Comments