L'AVVENTURA [THE ADVENTURE] (1960)

Ending

Side by side

Twisted


Title: L'Avventura
Year: 1960
Director: Michelangelo Antonioni
Format: Blu-ray
Label: The Criterion Collection

Notes:

Everyone's seen Antonioni's 1966 film BLOW-UP.

OK, not everyone, but anyone with an interest in counter-culture or cult cinema will have crossed paths with Antonioni's English-language debut at some point. I'm not ashamed to admit this was the first time I've seen any of other his other films and I'm damn glad I did.

However I wouldn't say this is necessarily a conventionally entertaining film. It's certainly a dazzlingly beautiful film with exceptional photography of wonderful locations. I had absolutely no trouble choosing these screen grabs. The plot and the flawed characters are the difficulty. The conceit of luring us into the life of the troubled Anna only to lose her is good but the real magic trick is to make us slowly realise that we won't see her again (no happy ending) and that the trajectory the film's leads are following is a more grim and less romanticised path.

There's narcissism on display but also hints of nihilism. Of course, there's a slight redemption in the film's final scene but certainly no neat resolution. Good job this is the first of what I assume is a thematic trilogy. I'm sure I'll watch the others (LA NOTTE & L'ECLISSE) soon enough. I'm not convinced they will more cheerful!


Comments