BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974)

Happy
Concerned
Upset


Title: Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
Year: 1974
Director: Sam Peckinpah
Format: Blu-ray
Label: Arrow Video

Notes:

I suppose I would identify as a fan of cult films, but here I am in 2017, finally watching my first Peckinpah film. This is probably also the first film I've ever bought/watched because of a pop culture reference [Futurama]. Ahem.

So, this is a modern Western, with a nefarious villain commissioning the death of the man who defiled his daughter and follows the fortunes of our hero Bennie in acquiring the titular head and earning his just reward. What follows is a violent and slightly tragic quest that I'd say had similarities to Classical Greek odysseys if I had any knowledge of such work. There's also a symmetry to the plot that I enjoyed. The film is bracketed by scenes at the Boss's hacienda and in between we follow the search for the head and the reverse journey as it is brought back to where we started.

Seen 40 plus years after it was made the film stills has an unexpected and slightly shocking violence at times. Quentin Tarantino must have seen this and has done pretty quite well for himself in adapting its tone and style to our hip times.

This blu-ray is clearly a beautiful restoration and looks far better in motion and on a big screen than these screenshots might suggest. Check it out.

Comments