MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)

Nice work if you can get it
Stepping out
High... dawn?


Title: My Darling Clementine
Year: 1946
Director: John Ford
Format: Blu-ray
Label: Arrow Academy

Notes: Purchased because I trust Arrow Academy, want to see more Westerns, and because I was actually in Tombstone, AZ back in January of this year. That said, this was apparently shot in Utah and certainly isn't located in the real town, although the street scenes aren't unrepresentative of how it looks today in its themepark-esque state.

Location is not the only liberty taken in this tale of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Having Doc Holliday die a heroic death during the fight looks a little insulting to the modern viewer but at least his eventually fatal TB is foreshadowed every 5 minutes with a coughing bout!

John Ford's film is splendidly photographed throughout and almost every scene delivers something of satisfaction to the viewer. I will watch more John Ford films I'm sure. The biggest attraction is Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp. His charisma is irresistible and made me think of the 1970s Jack Nicholson films I've seen recently. Also notable is the heroically stoic attitude to casual death. Finally, I'd like to record Linda Darnell's spunky performance as Chihuahua as a highlight.

Comments